FAQs About Six Seconds
What does ‘Six Seconds’ stand for?
It stands for the Six Seconds you have between the stimulus and your response to manage an intelligent or grounded emotional response to produce effective behavior. The chemicals that we experience as emotions are neurohormones that flow through our bodies. They are released in response to perceived opportunities and threats, they affect every living cell in our bodies… and then they are broken down and absorbed. Each “burst” of these chemicals lasts for about six seconds.
How was Six Seconds founded? What is the work Six Seconds does?
Six Seconds is a global organization supporting people to make a positive difference – everywhere, all the time. Six Seconds is the most extensive emotional intelligence organization in the world.
Six Seconds teaches emotional intelligence (or “EQ”) skills to equip change makers with tools and wisdom so future generations thrive. These learnable skills – including emotional literacy, optimism, empathy, emotional management, and self-motivation – create self-awareness, self-management, and self-direction.
Six Seconds California is a 501(c)3 public benefit corporation incorporated in California on September 30, 1997. The organization was founded to support the global emotional intelligence movement and promote a more caring, positive environment in schools and organizations. Our Chairman, Karen McCown, began this work when she created the Nueva School in 1967 — with a mission to integrate academic and emotional development. In 1993, Daniel Goleman visited the school and, in his 1995 book, wrote about our curriculum, Self-Science, as one of the proven models of how to teach EQ skills. Now with offices in 10 countries, and with the help of an exceptional advisory board of eminent scientists and advocates, the organization is a leader in the international EQ movement supporting allies and experts around the globe.
What are products and services offered by Six Seconds?
Six Seconds offers Products and Solutions in Education, Training, Consultancy that deal with the development of emotional intelligence and through their understanding, use and practice , the enhancement of the quality of life. See the menu at the top of every page for an overview.
Six Seconds works in three main areas:
- EQ Education: training, curriculum, and materials to integrate emotional intelligence throughout the school / organization to improve help young people be successful for life. The program utilizes the internationally recognized Self-Science curriculum and is guided by ongoing research.
- EQ Programs for Business: Build organizational capacity for bringing out the best in people and forming powerful workplace relationships. Using an organizational profile, focused training, and coaching, we help you increase engagement, trust, and integrity to build more effective teams, retain great employees, provide exceptional customer care, and effectively manage change. Our sister company, Six Seconds Consulting, utilizes our best-in-class tools and programs for substantive organizational change project.
- The EQ Network: Supports remarkable professionals, coaches, educators, activists, parents, trainers, children, and the general public concerned with emotional intelligence.
Certification training creates a cadre of change agents through the world’s only training program that provides an inclusive model that integrates best practices and top tools for learning and teaching emotional intelligence. Other activities of Six Seconds include:
- Publishing of best-in-class tools for individual and organizational change.
- An extensive website or “Hub” provides top quality information, online learning, materials, and services.
- The premier international emotional intelligence conferences, Six Seconds’ events provide a forum to show how emotional intelligence works.
Does Six Seconds exist in India? How can I associate with Six Seconds?
Yes Six Seconds exists in India now! We would be happy to talk to you or meet you to discuss how you can associate yourself with us, and the work we do. You can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
FAQs About Joshua Freedman
Who is Joshua Freedman? What has he worked on? Why is this work important to him?
Joshua Freedman, COO, Six Seconds, is one of the world’s preeminent experts on developing emotional intelligence to improve performance. With warmth and authenticity, he translates leading-edge science into practical, applicable terms that improve the quality of workplace relationships to unlock enduring success. Joshua leads the world’s largest network of emotional intelligence practitioners and researchers; Six Seconds has offices in six countries and practitioners in over 50 countries across the world.
He co-developed Six Seconds’ EQ Certification Training which he has delivered on five continents as master-trainer to hundreds professionals seeking practical tools for learning and teaching emotional intelligence. He has helped launch emotional intelligence programs and companies in over a dozen countries. Freedman is one of a handful of experts in the world with over a decade of full-time experience in this emerging field.
Joshua Freedman is author of At the Heart of Leadership (in English, Chinese, and Italian) and INSIDE CHANGE: Transforming Your Organization with Emotional Intelligence (English and Italian) and over two dozen articles including The Business Case for Emotional Intelligence, The Workplace Issues Report, and A Hope for Change.
He is coauthor of four validated psychometric assessments including the EQ Leadership Report and the Organizational Vital Signs climate index, as well a several books and training programs including the Handle With Care EQ Activity Book, the EQ Learning Journal, two volumes of the Self-Science EQ Curriculum, The EQ Leader training, and The Inside Path to Change (used by the US Navy and Marine Corps).