An engaging two-day program where participants develop emotional intelligence to increase their effectiveness at the “people side” of leadership. The course features a unique approach to learning that’s been effective for hundreds of professionals from six continents. The methodology comes from a curriculum called Self-Science, identified in Daniel Goleman’s 1995 best-selling book, Emotional Intelligence, as one of two models for teaching EQ. This approach is research-based, time-tested, and proven effective.
Both managers and leaders are critical to the success of organizations. In an era of rapid change and complexity, organizations are finding they need more leaders who can engage staff to take responsibility for creating results for themselves, their teams and the organization. Most managers have a high level of expertise on the technical side of their work, but few have substantial training in the human side of the job. Emotional intelligence provides powerful insights and tools essential for transforming managers into leaders.
Emotional intelligence (or EQ) is the capacity to effectively use emotions, and it’s a key differentiating factor of successful leaders. Why? Because relationships are at the heart of workplace performance, and EQ skills are what makes effective relationships thrive. Few training programs or workshops have the potential to make a significant difference in how participants perform on the job. This training program can.
Studies vary, but all indicate that emotional competence accounts from 70 to 80% of the difference in leadership success. Maybe that’s why thought leaders like Jack Welch (past CEO of GE) and Warren Bennis (leadership authority and author) and hundreds of others all agree:
No doubt emotional intelligence is more rare than book smarts, but in my experience it is actually more important in making a leader.
- Jack Welch
In the fields I have studied, emotional intelligence is much more powerful than IQ in determining who emerges as a leader. IQ is a threshold competence. You need it, but it doesn’t make you a star. Emotional intelligence can.
- Warren Bennis, Author of ‘Becoming A Leader’
Managers and anyone leading a group of people / teams. Experienced managers as well as new managers will find this program valuable.
- EQ Leadership: Introduction to the EQ competencies that great leaders possess.
- Know Yourself: Increase self awareness and your ability to decode the hidden language of emotions.
- Choose Yourself: Increased ability to assess your options, follow your intentions to walk the talk.
- Give Yourself: Build loyalty through empathy and engage the power of intrinsic motivation.
- Into Practice: Develop a Professional and Personal Development Plan for applying EQ on the job.
- To provide an understanding of why EQ matters greatly in leadership.
- Participants will learn how to understand the messages behind their emotions and how to make decisions when in tune with them.
- Participants will understand how to read emotional cues in themselves/their charges and how to respond accordingly.
- Participants will learn how the greatest leaders think when faced with conflict and tough decisions.
- Participants will understand how their leadership values, attitudes and behaviour impact on their own motivation to lead.
- Participants will understand the importance of engaging leadership, how to influence and evoke feelings of enthusiasm in their staff.
- Participants will be able to use practical tips and techniques that would enable them to have better control of their impulses and exercise self-control.
- Participants will practice empathic listening and communication and how it impacts when dealing with staff.
- Participants will learn the difference between positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement and how this affects staff performance.
- Participants will understand the value of optimism, how to practice it and make it a feature of their leadership.
- Participants will be taught the importance of a Noble Goal as a leader so that this mission drives them to be purposeful and visionary.
Program Features & Benefits
- Two intensive days of training with leading experts in emotional intelligence development. The training will provide both an intellectual and a gut-level understanding of emotional intelligence while delivering practical tools that allow you to develop and apply EQ on the job.
- A workbook with resources and tips for learning more about how to improve your emotional competencies as a leader.
- Become more aware of your own emotional intelligence with the SEI assessment.
- Better understand why emotional intelligence improves leadership effectiveness.
- Know the meaning of emotional intelligence and a model for using the concept in their work and life.
- Increase self-awareness by learning about emotions and patterns.
- Develop a Professional and Personal Development Plan for applying EQ on the job.
What People Are Saying About 6 Seconds
I’ve found your workshop very engaging and practical. I enjoyed your energizing games and the various group discussions that could enable participants to share experiences and views. I’ve also picked up more skills and techniques to control my emotions better and be more patient in listening.
Christina Kuek, Head of Human Resources, LGT Bank (SG) Ltd
The time spent with you is definitely value for money! I have learnt to be a much better leader after doing my EQ and other Personality profile, especially coping with stress and learning how to further leverage on my strength. With that I am confident that I can excel very well in any organisation. Great training and great guidance! Thanks!
Ailene Lee, Vice President of Sales, Sales & Marketing Division, Singapore Post Limited
I attended the course Leading with Social & Emotional Intelligence conducted by Granville D’Souza. To simply sum it up, EXCELLENT! Granville is a very friendly, knowledgeable and engaging speaker that is full of energy and enthusiasm. I learn a lot about how the mind and the heart works, the emotional part of us, conquering fears and frustration. It is really cool! Gran parted his experience and training to us and with some practice, it has help me look at issues, cases, situations from a very different angle, thus enabling conflicts to be resolved much easier and more amicable. The course is a real eye opener, sort of thinking outside the box; compared to many other courses I have attended that tries to teach the typical method of resolving issues, this course is far superior to others and I would be keen for students to know this. The techniques to improve approachability, team building and positive reinforcements are excellent and I have recommended my leads to take advantage of this highly valued learning experience.
Peter Leow, Head – PMO, ITIL Compliance and Security, Regional Managed Services, Fujitsu Asia Pte Ltd
Granville is a dynamic and inspiring speaker. He has such beautiful gems of practical knowledge and tips that he so passionately and selflessly shared. One can’t help but feel inspired and motivated attending his courses. He is outstanding and engaging in imparting his knowledge. Never a dull moment. Thanks Gran.
Patricia Ang, PR Director, Club Rainbow
Facilitators For This Program
Date: 16 – 17 January 2014.
Venue: Orchard Parade Hotel, Singapore.
Includes workshop materials, lunch and tea breaks.
Regular Fee: SGD1150 per person.
Early Bird Fee: SGD920 per person (if paid by 10 Dec 2013).
Group Discount: SGD800 each for 2 participants or more.
Workshop Bonus 1: Detailed Personality Profile.
Workshop Bonus 2: Coaching for 30 minutes using the SEI EQ Profile and Enneagram Profile.
Workshop Bonus 3: Book by Dr Granville D’Souza titled “EQ From The Inside Out: Breakthrough Tools & Ideas For Living A Fulfilling Life”.