Frequently Asked Questions on the EQ Certification by Six Seconds
FAQs About EQ
Isn’t emotional Intelligence ‘too soft’ to help me practically?
Indeed Emotional Intelligence is a “soft skill,” just as are communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills. Lawyers and Crisis Management Experts enter into contentious negotiation debates and crisis interventions almost daily, and no one would regard their high level of the soft skills of negotiation and to being “soft.”
Just like negotiation skills, emotional intelligence skills are not about being “soft.” While there are many descriptions of what comprises emotional intelligence, the Six Seconds Model of Emotional Intelligence includes several “hard” competencies listed below:
- Emotional Awareness through Emotional Literacy and Recognition of Patterns— The ability to be aware of what you are feeling in the moment. This provides you with information that you can use to decide what to do or say or not do or say next.
- Emotional Regulation & Self-Management through Emotional Navigation & Consequential Thinking — Possessing the ability to choose the emotions that you want to experience or having the skill to transform negative emotions into more positive productive emotions and consequential behaviors. This enables you to think through emotionally intense situations and problem solve, and communicate more effectively.
- Emotional Connection through Empathy — The ability to place yourself into someone else’s shoes to see things from their point of view. It doesn’t mean you have to agree with them. By simply having an understanding of the other person’s feelings, situation, and motives for their behavior it enables you to adjust what you are saying in order to improve understanding from both sides. This leads to more win-win solutions to difficult situations.
How is emotional intelligence important to what I do?
If you interact with people on an everyday basis – as a leader, manager, parent, educator, team members or so many other roles – you have emotional information coming your way. Even when you are by yourself, events around cause emotions within.
Emotional intelligence is the ability to discern and understand emotional information. Enabling and enriching self with this crucial information empowers people with more choices on how they respond to their daily tasks like a business meeting with the boss, consulting a client on their business, an appraisal meeting with a team members or coming back home to help a child with their homework.
Is there any scientific proven basis that emotional intelligence works?
Research shows that emotional intelligence may actually be significantly more important than cognitive ability and technical expertise combined. In fact, some studies indicate that EQ is more than twice as important as standard IQ abilities. Further, evidence increasingly shows that the higher one goes in an organization, the more important EQ can be. For those in leadership positions, emotional intelligence skills account for close to 90 percent of what distinguishes outstanding leaders from those judged as average.
Latest research in neurobiology and empirical studies of applying EQ based models to work/ school/ home situations is revealing in terms of EQ being a large determinant of success. Some of these have led scientists to conclude:
- Emotions Exist: Using PET and fMRI scans scientists can show emotions at work on the brain in real time. Neuropeptides – chemicals produced in the brain carry emotional signals throughout our bodies
- Emotions Affect Us: The way we feel influences the way we think and act. In fact the very structure of ‘thinking’ and ‘feeling’ are totally intertwined – the same kinds of chemicals and cells are involved in analytical thought and feeling. It has been shown that when people have damage to their emotional centers, they actually cannot make choices. Emotions are enmeshed in the networks of reason
- Emotions are Data and Energy: At a neurobiological level, emotions are literally information and energy. The chemicals of emotions are messengers and they carry an electric charge. When we change emotional states we actually experience the energy of emotions – be it the draining of energy when feeling overwhelmed or euphoria on finding a way out of it.
So if emotions are there, they affect us, and they contain both data and energy, we have a choice: We can ignore emotions or use them. Empirical studies show that using emotions assists our decision making, helps us influence others in meaningful ways and can indeed be a source of our own energy. This changes how we are and what we accomplish.
There is extensive research on the Six Seconds Model and assessment tools available: www.6seconds.org/tools/sei/research
To see the business application of this work, see some examples of corporate programs on our site
I am already successful at what I do, why should I pay attention to Emotional Intelligence?
According to Daniel Goleman in his article “ Success : The Rest of the Story “ ( see www.danielgoleman.info ) reflecting on Gladwell’s fascinating new book Outliers: The Story of Success, Malcolm Gladwell makes a strong case that people owe their success to a lot more than IQ. He reviews data and offers convincing cases to show that above an IQ in the neighborhood of 110-115, IQ fails as a predictor of success in a career. In other words, you need to be smart enough to handle the cognitive complexity of the information you need for a given role or job, be it engineering, law, medicine, or business. That’s the IQ around 115. But after reaching that threshold of “smart enough,” your intellect makes little difference.
A massive amount of data collected by companies on their own people suggests that such personal abilities are the secret ingredient in success over and above those Malcolm Gladwell describes so ably. The data referred to derives from “competence modeling,” in which companies systematically analyze the abilities found in their stars (those in the top ten percent of performance by whatever metric makes sense for that specific job or role) but not found in counterparts who are mediocre.
A goodly amount of these abilities – like initiative, the drive to achieve, and empathy — are in the emotional intelligence domain. Competence studies show that the higher a person goes up the organizational ladder, the more prominent the role these personal abilities play in performance.
In other words, the more successful someone is, the greater is the contribution of this skill-set to his or her future success.
FAQs About The Certification Program
Is it relevant for me?
The course is designed for change agents/ leaders, internal and external consultants, trainers, program developers, and educators implementing emotional intelligence. Because the course is highly experiential and in-depth, it is also valuable for individuals who want to increase emotional intelligence in their professional and personal lives (whether or not they want to deliver training and teaching).
Globally, delegates have attended from over forty nations and dozens of professions. These include educators, consultants or soon-to-be-consultants, and senior managers and heads of departments from inside organizations.
Delegates come from:
- Organizations: finance/banking, health, technology, manufacturing, military, civil service, nonprofits, psychology, behavioral health, veterinary medicine, law, hospitality, and from specialized business units such as call centers.
- Education: teacher trainers, teachers from preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school, district offices, college, MBA programs, Teacher Ed programs, Psych programs, Vet Med school, Nursing school, and professional training, and grad students.
If you are a consultant or trainer: You will increase your ability to develop and deliver effective emotional intelligence trainings and interventions — and gain credibility, tools, and marketing presence.
If you are a teacher: You will be better able to teach emotional intelligence skills in your classroom and school — and thereby likely increase your students’ learning and performance.
If you are a manager or leader: You will enhance your emotional intelligence and your understanding of how emotional intelligence can be used to optimize teams and organizations.
If you are a parent: You will understand more about how to develop your children’s emotional intelligence and your own — and you will go home better able to focus on what’s most important in your family.
If you still wonder if the course is right for you, please contact us and we’ll put you in touch with a local Certified Associate in a similar field/sector/role if possible.
Has this certification been done before?
This is the most popular and most run Program of Six Seconds worldwide. There are around 3000 graduates of the program working in approximately 75 countries and numerous large and small organizations and schools (including FedEx, TECOM Investments, HSBC, Rotana Hotels…) It has run in almost every continent of the world for the past several years and two EQ Certifications have also been successfully run in Mumbai – one in October 2010 and another in April 2011 — see our testimonials
What does being a ‘Certified Associate’ of Six Seconds mean?
Become a Six Seconds Certified Associate to show you’re understanding of our powerful model and pedagogy. Six Seconds is a rapidly growing international organization. Six Seconds is internationally recognized as the premier global provider of emotional intelligence training and materials.
As a Certified Associate, you receive important benefits in your work:
- Identification with an international organization
- System and structure to provide follow-up and professional development; including opportunity to co-present trainings with our team
- Access to powerful training and education tools, including discounts for materials used in Six Seconds Training
- Programs to use with schools, families, and organizations
- Membership in a worldwide network of EQ practitioners
- Promotion of your work through the Six Seconds web site
As a certified associate, you are entitled to use Six Seconds materials and procedures in your own work and training. You also have the opportunity to develop an ongoing relationship with the organization network
Where and when will the certification be held?
The next run is September 19-23, 2011 in Mumbai . Venue details shall be released closer to the program.
How do I get to know more about it? How do I sign-up for the program? How much do I need to pay and how? Can I get a discount?
Please ask for the Registration Form for details of sign-up and payment.
For any additional details, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Dexter Valles @ 022-25211821 or 022-25216945, and we will be happy to personally address your queries
What if I have to cancel later due to other commitments?
Cancellations over 60 days in advance will result in just Rs. 5000/- retention. Cancellations 30-60 days ahead will result in a 50% refund.
No refunds will be available to cancellations after this date. However some part of this (upto 50% of the retained fee) may be adjusted against your fee in a subsequent program within 12 months of cancellation.